Saturday, December 15, 2007

Tis' the Season to Wassail

December 16, 2005 Tis’ the Season to Wassail By Stan Dyer “Here we come a-wassailing among the leaves so green; here we come a wandering so fair to be seen…”, or something to that effect. I remember first hearing this song when I was eight years old. I didn’t know what a-wassailing was, and I was pretty sure I had never seen one, so I asked my more mature, older sister about the meaning of this strange, new word, “wassail”. She informed me that it was the old English way of saying “caroling”. From that moment on, the two words were synonymous, although I preferred to use the more familiar word in order to avoid the embarrassment of having to explain myself. It wasn’t until a number of years later that I discovered the word actually had various meanings, and a colorfu View the rest of this article


No comments: